Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bangalore

I've been in Bangalore for 2 full days now. I really like Bangalore, it's much different from Delhi. The air is cleaner, there is more green, farms, water, etc. There are still some of the interesting and different aspects that seem to be consistent across the country, but in general it's much more to my liking.

I have a driver assigned to me. He picks me up at the hotel in the morning, takes me to work, can take Matt places, picks me up, etc. It's veryt handy and takes a lot of the guess work out of things.

We have been unsuccessful in getting SIM cards for our phones. That has been a bummer. Thankfully my co-worker has been patient with fielding calls for me.

I have loved meeting all my co-workers and being in the office with them. I think many were fairly shy and quiet the first day, but they seem to be more talkative today. There are 10 of them. We all went to lunch today at a restaurant that I really enjoyed. It was Southern Indian cuisine. It was all very flavorful and so good. I do stick out like a sore thumb here. Maybe most American's do? Not sure. But at the restaurant the waiter brought me bottled Aquafina and nothing for the others. They drank the regular water. I did appreciate the bottled water, that is what I would have ordered. Then we had appetizers, which were every good. The water did give me this very large whole fish. He only gave the other people 1/3 of fish each. So, here I am with this large fish, feeling like I am taking all the food! :) Thankfully he brought more fish and everyone got some. When the main food came, curries or gravies, which we are with rice and breads/tortilla type things, they did not bring silverware. Now, I didn't notice that no one else had silverware...I thought it was just me. So, I say something and instantly realize I look like and idiot because no one has silverware, they are al eating with their hands. They use the breads to eat mostly. So, my one co-worker asks for a fork and spoon for me, they end up giving it to the entire table (11 of us) and then everyone starts eating with the forks and spoons. I am pretty sure everyone was doing that just to make me not feel uncomfortable. But then, I felt like a complete idiot. Thankfully the group is all very nice and I hope not offended.

The work part is going very well. Aside from my computer connection issues, I have had some great and really productive meetings.

Tonight 2 of my co-workers (and hopfully one of the wives) are joining us for dinner. I am looking forward to that.

No comments: