We finally got a break from the wind and rain. And I think spring might make an appearance. So, it was time to start getting the spring garden going. The last two years I have tried various veggies in the garden, this year I am focusing on thing that I know have grown well for me. So, I started by picking up 5 heirloom tomato plants from a local farmer, 5 different kinds, he didn't have them labeled so it's going to be a fun surprise! I rounded out with 2 additional tomato plants, because I love those little golden pear tomatoes, and some romas for good measure. I also went with 4 jalapeno plants and 4 other pepper plants. Peppers grew really well for me last year, and the plants do not get too big at all. I added in 2 squash plants, last year I had more but they get HUGE and really produce a lot - a cucumber plant (first time for these, Mia wanted them)- a watermelon plant (again, Mia wanted it) - lettuce, arugula, and a bunch of herbs. So, most of that is in our two large planter beds, and then the watermelon and some tomatoes are between two fruit trees on the side yard. Tomatoes grew really well there last year. For the beds, I just have to remember to have Matt keep adjusting the water if we don't have a hot summer, because the tomatoes and squash get too watery and rot easily.
Here's the garden boxes:
And the other row of plants:
We also had some hired help (a high school senior who needed cash for prom) who was fantastic. He helped with a lot of this work.
We refreshed the bark - lets hope it helps with weeds! Added a fountain, and Matt installed outdoor lighting!! I am beyond excited about that. We bought the lights 6 years ago for our old house but never installed them.
I'm really pleased with how it all looks. And can't wait for the veggies to start growing!
No comments:
Post a Comment