Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How we roll, school style.

I've never posted about our adventures in schooling. For the last 2 years Mia and Mason have been attending a local Charter School. There are many many wonderful things about this school. The set up is unique, while it is a public school, is it mainly considered a home school program. They do call their set up a "University Style Model" because the students attend certain weekly classes on campus (they share a campus with a sister school that is a traditional public school) and do work off campus.

We initially started this because Mia was number 85 on the waiting list for a very awesome Charter School close to our house. We thought we would do this for a year and then hopefully Mason would get into the awesome charter school and Mia would be automatically moved up to the first spot on the waiting list. At the same time California was slashing funding for education, increasing class sizes, cutting programs, etc. So, when Mason didn't get into the awesome Charter School either (he is in the top 20 for waiting list) we decided to home school another year.

Over the course of the two years we have learned a lot. I get to spend a lot of time with my kids, which otherwise would have not been possible since I work a 40+ hours a week full time job. Matt and I get to learn with our kids, which is really fun. The kids can learn at their own pace, which is great. We don't have to move on with something until they know it well and feel comfortable. And, we can speed ahead on things that they master quickly. Mia's done pretty well, had ups and downs. But recently her reading has improved drastically and she's always been super with math. Mason on the other hand, is about 1 year ahead of schedule. He has competed all of kindergarten and almost all of first grade - and he is still 5! He's pretty focused, and likes to get things done.

Here's Mason learning:

And here is Mia reading:

And here is what you do for handwriting practice:


I really really think this method of school is great for kids, particular in the first few years of elementary school. You learn to work as a family unit, you learn to solve problems together and learn together. You also have perks, like you don't have to drive kids to school in rain and fog. :) And you can pretty much go on vacation when you would like!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE THE SENTENCES! And I love those glasses, too!