Saturday, August 13, 2011

First Day Of School

Mia and Mason started school this week at the neighborhood public school. We had been trying to get them into the nearby really good Charter school but they use a lottery system and we keep falling at the bottom of the list. So, the last 2 years we have Home Schooled them through Hickman Charter School. We really loved HCS. We had the BEST EC, Joanne! HCS is small, the teachers are very engaged with students and really care about them. I loved that we could choose what our children were learning and when. I loved that Mia and Mason could learn at their own pace and excel in areas they were interested in. I am going to truly miss HCS. However, the time has come to hang up my ruler - a bit sooner then I had hoped. My work schedule is very busy and with the kids getting involved in so many activities now it's become really difficult for me to schedule everything. Plus, it's time for me to focus a bit on me and really hit my career hard. I have definitely put fast tracking my career on the back burner for the last 7 years in favor of spending that time with the kids. I would not change that for the world, but it feels right now to refocus a bit. I also need to consider doing something fun for myself and spending more time exercising. So, with that we have decided that Mia and Mason will begin this year at Freedom Elementary, the neighborhood school.

I am really happy with the teachers Mia and Mason got. They both fit with their personalities and what they need.

Mia and Mason all ready for school.

Mason in front of his desk. He made the box sitting on the desk as his first assignment. It is decorated all in Star Wars.

Mia in front of her classroom. Her teacher had yard duty the first week, so we didn't get to see her classroom until after school.





No comments: